Becoming Sister Wives: The Story of an Unconventional Marriage

Becoming Sister Wives: The Story of an Unconventional Marriage - Kody Brown, Meri Brown, Christine Brown, Robyn Brown The one positive thing I can say about this book is that it was good exercise for my eyes – it had them rolling in an endless loop. The overwhelming naiveté of the text was skillfully underlined by the bad writing.

Stories like the Browns’ are why religion has been losing ground and credibility. Their life choice begs one question – if religion is there to keep you away from sin, how come then is sin being justified by religion? - it is like the chicken or the egg dilemma.
Every religion and all branches of a religion can have different dogmas, teachings, beliefs, principles and a different God almighty. So therefore it is not about deciding to believe in God, it is about deciding which God to believe in in order to validate your life choices to society.

Now I don’t believe in sin and I don’t believe in celestial afterlife, but I firmly believe in the right of all beings to lead the life they choose as long as they don’t interfere with or hurt others.
I was struggling not to judge or ridicule the Browns but they make it really hard on you. They will try to convince you of the perfect family happiness they have obtained through years of sacrifice and prayer, but self-delusion screams so loudly through the pages it is deafening.
The more they talk of bliss, the more they sound amiss. There is deeply-rooted unhappiness and bitterness that is palpable throughout. By trying so hard to paint a picture-perfect family life, the Browns only reinforce the common belief that men who choose this lifestyle are egocentric and self-indulgent while the women are brainwashed.

Everything about one husband, many wives and numerous children speaks to me of inequality. But then again, maybe we should stop dreaming of equality in an imperfect world. For what does equality stand for? Does it mean all beings having the same rights and opportunities or does it mean all livings having their individual needs met? The paradox that are the Browns who stand up to the world proclaiming they are different while being afraid to stand up to themselves and their community admitting they are dysfunctional, only goes to show how little of our life choices really is a choice.
The self is struggling to breathe in an atmosphere polluted by expectations, traditions, prejudice, fear, judgment. Whether it is religion, community, society, virtual reality or our own hell, we are all subordinate and this is where we are all equal.