The Kreutzer Sonata

The Kreutzer Sonata - Leo Tolstoy You know how, when you are fond of someone, you always find a way to defend their reasoning, however weird or distorted it might appear. Well, I have this same issue with Tolstoy.

He lived in a society in which sex, marriage and children were interlinked, and love was just a bonus. Nowadays, we like to think we have evolved to a point where all four can exist independently of each other (at least in some societies). Yet almost everything Tolstoy rebelled against in this little novella is as relevant today as it was more than a century ago.

For the individual who still, in this day and age, asks questions and seeks a higher truth it is hard to reconcile the two worlds within – the one of the flesh and the one of the spirit. Because this is what I think Tolstoy was struggling with – the more the physical ties you down, the less connected you feel to your ethereal self. And this is as true for the individual as it is for two people in a partnership.

So, yes, I understand you, Leo, whatever you might have meant. Both my selves do.