The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery Warning - this book is crap!! And I really mean it. The best word that would describe it is 'mish-mash' - a dish prepared with all the wrong ingredients that somehow managed to become delicious.

'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' (like title - like novel!) is a total mess. It seems as if Barbery wrote down the essentials she gathered from her philosophical background and threw it all into this book in no particular order. The characters are one-dimensional, undeveloped and mostly unrealistic. The setting is painfully limited and the storyline practically nonexistent.

Having said all that, I strangely enjoyed being submerged in this improbable world of over-intellectuality and boulevard philosophy. The book felt very personal and I was left with the idea that Barbery just sat down one day and wrote the 'autobiography of her mind' - a genre I would love to read more of.

All the while while reading the book I had this tune in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9iDZHrQjw